The goal of the Mentor-Apprentice Program is to facilitate the development of fluent speakers of B.C. First Nations languages where fluent speakers are partnered with committed learners in an immersion environment in the home and on the land.
This is a one-on-one language immersion program. A "mentor" (a fluent speaker of a language) is paired with an "apprentice" (learner). The mentor and apprentice spend 300 hours per year together doing everyday activities using the language at all times. In this program, learners become more fluent, which is especially valuable for languages where only a couple of fluent speakers are left.
The Mentor-Apprentice Program (MAP) was first developed in California specifically for Native American languages, but the program can be used to learn any language. It was developed on the basis of a suggestion by Julian Lang, a Karuk speaker, and initially created by Leanne Hinton, Nancy Richardson, Mary Bates Abbott and others (Hinton 2001). For more information on the program in California, see the website for the Advocates for Indigenous California Language Survival: www.aicls.org
FPCC started a B.C. Mentor-Apprentice Program in 2008 with 12 teams from 11 different B.C. languages. The goal for each team was to complete 900 hours of immersion in their language (3 years of 300 hours per year). These 12 teams showed great success and all of the apprentices became more fluent in their languages. A new group of 10 teams started in November 2010.
- B.C.'s Master Apprentice Language Program Handbook
- MAP video [Part 1] [Part 2]
- MAP in B.C. FAQs
- Visual model of MAP
- Ten Points for Language Learning
- Forms and Documents Contents [PDF] [Word]
- A - Outline of Forms and Documents [PDF] [Word]
- B - Mentor-Apprentice Team Agreement [PDF] [Word]
- C - Apprentice Fluency Self Assessment Form [PDF] [Word]
- D - Mentor-Apprentice Work Plan Form [PDF] [Word]
- E - *50-Hour Report and Expense Summary [PDF] [Word]
- F - Administrator Responsibilities [PDF] [Word]
- G - **Panel Evaluation Form [PDF] [Word]
- H - Mentor-Apprentice Program Reflections (Final Report) [PDF] [Word]
* Note: This is the form that MAP teams are required to submit after every 50 hours of immersion work.
**Note: This is the form that MAP teams are required to submit after each panel evaluation (every 100 hours of immersion work).
Click here to access information about FPCC funding opportunities.